April 23, 2013
Dear Otto: I need reading resources for ELL/ESL
Dear Otto is an occasional column where I answer questions I get from readers about teaching tech. If you have a question, please complete the form below and I’ll answer it here. For your privacy, I use only first names.
Here’s a great question I got from Shelley:
tomorrow is a half day planning day so I can’t wait to look at all of the websites you have for 1st grade. I’m wondering what recommendations can you give for ELL/ESL students? One of my student’s home language is Spanish and the other home language is Pashto. Thank you for any recommendations!
I found three websites that share story books in lots of languages:
I found this great list of Digital Storytelling websites from Dr. Helen Barrett’s wnderful site. These are all for ESL students:
- Digital Storytelling: Projects that Engage the Whole Learner
- Digital Storytelling: The second language writing classroom
- Making Learners Click with Digital Storytelling
- Teaching English – Digital Storytelling
- ESL and Digital Storytelling – Digital Storytelling for ESL/Language Learning
- Digital Storytelling for Language and Culture Learning (PDF) – National Writing Project
- Web English Teacher – Digital Storytelling
- MCC ESL Digital Stories
- CARLA Technology Summer Institute – Digital Storytelling
- Digital Storytelling by International Students – English as a Second Language Composition (ENG 109) (Miami U of Ohio)
- “Listen to My Story and You Will Know Me”: Digital Stories as Student-Centered Collaborative Projects
TESOL Journal Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 173–202, June 2011
- L2 Digital Storytelling
- Kirsty McGeoch – Digital Storytelling in second language teaching and learning
- Jump-Starting Language and Schema for English-Language Learners: Teacher-Composed Digital Jumpstarts for Academic Reading (PDF)
- How to Make Crab Soup: Digital Storytelling Projects for ESL Students
- Digital Storytelling in Second Language Learning – comprehensive lesson plan
- Digital Storytelling – Tips and Resources
I’d sure like a longer list. Anyone have some they would recommend?
To ask Otto a question, fill out the form below:[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Jacqui Murray has been teaching K-8 technology for 15 years. She is the editor of a K-8 technology curriculum, K-8 keyboard curriculum, K-8 Digital Citizenship curriculum, and creator of technology training books for how to integrate technology in education. She is the author of the popular Building a Midshipman, the story of her daughter’s journey from high school to United States Naval Academy. She is webmaster for six blogs, CSG Master Teacher, an Amazon Vine Voice book reviewer, Editorial Review Board member for Journal for Computing Teachers, Cisco guest blogger, a columnist for Examiner.com, featured blogger for Technology in Education, IMS tech expert, and a monthly contributor to TeachHUB. Currently, she’s editing a techno-thriller that should be out to publishers next summer. Contact Jacqui at her writing office or her tech lab, Ask a Tech Teacher.