Reposted from Ask a Tech Teacher
Every Friday I’ll send you a wonderful website that my classes and my parents love. I think you’ll find they’ll be a favorite of your students as they are of mine.
Big Huge Labs
This site definitely lives up to its tagline–Helping you do cool stuff with your digital photos. It includes over two dozen projects that can be printed and/or posted on the web. What a plethora of tools. You can:
- turn photos into magazine covers
- turn photos into puzzles
- make mosaics
- make calendars
- make pop art, ala Andy Warhol (that’s a favorite at my school)
- write a letter to Santa
- and more…
Most of these effects take 2-3 steps–upload your photo, select among a few options and create. Simple. It’s so simple, my eighth graders got confused. They were looking for all the other steps!
Big Huge Labs even has an educator account. Teachers can sign up for a free Educator account and get the following benefits:
- Pre-register students so they can sign in without requiring an email address.
- View and download content created by your students.
- Use the site advertising-free. And we absolutely do not try to sell anything to your students.
- Ready to print ID cards for your students
Here are some ideas on using Big Huge Labs in the classroom.
- Use the badges to create name tags for field trips.
- Use the Trading Cards to create Flora and Fauna Cards
- Create an Avatar to use with your online presence
- Create National Park (or other) trading cards.
- Create Movie Posters to share about a book or time in History.
My helpful Google search engine posted these sites that do similar activities. Has anyone tried them?
Dumpr – Addictively-fun and simple-to-use online photo effects. – dumpr.net
GlassGiant.com – Contains resume, personal news, web design … – glassgiant.com
MagMyPic.com – Perfect for posting on MySpace, Facebook, … – magmypic.com
PhotoFunia – This effect is currently unavailable. Close. All effects; … – photofunia.com
To sign up for Weekend Websites delivered to your email, click Weekend Websites here and leave your email.